Discussion Forum: Classes: Looking for a Teacher:
100 Men Yoga - NYC - Needs 9 Instructors

100MenYoga
Deleted

Nov 29, 2005, 6:26 AM

Post #1 of 1 (2816 views)
Shortcut
100 Men Yoga - NYC - Needs 9 Instructors Can't Post

I am organizing a project called "100 Men Yoga".

100 Men Yoga will kick-off on or before Sunday January 8th. If you are interested in helping to organize, participate in or teach in this project e-mail me at 100menyoga@gmail.com

It will be a day to celebrate men who practice yoga and encourage those who don't. I know too many men who are interested in practicing yoga but are stopped because of self-conscious or culture-conscious reasons; they feel they are not flexible enough, that yoga is for women, or are simply intimidated by the personal nature of the practice, etc...

As female who does not practice yoga regularly, I need help. I am looking for 10 yoga instructors to donate 1 class each (or more, if willing) and a studio to host the event. Studio owners: This means I am looking to bring at least 100 new people to your studio AND your name and address will be on ALL the publicity for this event.

In my heart, my dream is to see this not just as one day that occurs in the history of yoga, but as the start of something much bigger; a monthly gathering of men. The creation of a community of men who take a stand for yoga in the world and in their lives.

My life-long friend Jarod, is a practicing student of yoga. I have seen what it has done for him and his life. Where he used to be physically awkward and quite shy he is now a strong, confidant, self-expressed individual – much of that change can be attributed to his years of yoga. On the other hand, my cousin who is 24 and many other male friends our age talk about wanting to try yoga or have other-wise expressed interest in it; asking if I ever see guys in class (all four classes I have taken in my life) or know any men who do it (“Are there any male yoga teachers”). Many of them have yet to step foot in a studio because they think yoga is just for women. I think it’s a good time to break the stereo-type. <>Also, I proclaim to strive for a global society of equality and yet any actions I have taken towards such a goal has been aimed at “women’s empowerment”, why not give the guys a boost.

Again, 100 Men Yoga will kick-off on or before Sunday January 8th. If you are interested in helping to organize, participate in or teach in this project e-mail me at 100menyoga@gmail.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3