aches and pains

dancebum
New User

Dec 11, 2005, 10:28 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4022 views)
Shortcut
aches and pains Can't Post

Hello out there !

I've started practising yoga everyday now for the past couple of months. I'm planning on taking the teacher's training program (in a couple of years). I'm reaching out to someone for a little encouragment, for I have a hard time coping with neck and heel problems, as well as trying not be discouraged by postures such as supta virasana (I need a many bolsters and blankets just to hold the posture for 5 minutes).

Please give this beginner a little love

Bryan Alexander
Enthusiast / Moderator

Dec 13, 2005, 5:18 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3984 views)
Shortcut
Re: aches and pains [In reply to] Can't Post

dancebum, this Feedback and Help area is for a type of love relating to issues with the website rather than issues of practicing yoga.

Nevertheless, here is a valentine from all of us:

The lotus flower
Is not stained by the mud;
This dewdrop form,
Alone, just as it is,
Manifests the real body of truth.
--Ikkyu (Japanese) 1394-1481

heart, heart, heart
BryanA

rita
Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2005, 2:47 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3944 views)
Shortcut
Re: aches and pains [In reply to] Can't Post

You shouldn't get discouraged from yoga because you have to use props! That's the reason Guruji invented them! Consider this interpretation of the Yoga Sutra sthira-sukham-asanam (YS, II.46) - Asana should be stable and comfortable. If you reach this through the use of props I think this is absolute o.k. - it is said nowhere that you can only reach a "perfect" pose without the use of props. So work on steadily and for sure you can decrease the use of props (slowly).

Also consider the yamas and niyamas: ahimsa (non-harming), satya (truthfulness) to yourself, aparigha (nongreed) to reach the "perfect" pose. Practice samtosha (contentment) with the pose you can achieve now and through tapas (disciplined practice) you will progress in practice.

Good luck and namaste!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3