Discussion Forum: Iyengar Yoga Resources: Feedback and Help:
resuming practice after injury..

deliane
New User

Mar 16, 2004, 6:12 AM

Post #1 of 3 (5044 views)
Shortcut
resuming practice after injury.. Can't Post

dear all, I broke my left ankle (4 fractures to the lateral malleolus of the fibula) in Dec, 2003. my cast has been off for 6 weeks. and I can walk again.. not quickly..

I have been going to traditional (non-yogic) physical therapy but that ends soon.. and I am eager to begin yoga again-- and work slowly towards regaining my body's "old" abilities......

but I don't want to hurt myself. I just started doing a gentle child's pose (my left foot no longer rests on the floor in this asana but I stay in it for a minute, big toes touching, breathing slowly..) and a very gentle virasana (sitting on three entire NY phone books... unfortunately) as a beginning- but would be enormously grateful to hear what Iyengar-yogis recommend to help me........

thank you !

deliane
New User

Mar 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

Post #2 of 3 (5025 views)
Shortcut
Re: resuming practice after injury.. [In reply to] Can't Post

oops. I am new here and have just realized I probably posted my question on the wrong forum........... I am going to try in the "medical" forum--

maida
New User

Oct 11, 2004, 11:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4589 views)
Shortcut
Re: resuming practice after injury.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi. sorry for that, I also had an injury in my left harmstring which was 7 months ago but still I suffer pain when I do forward bends. In my experience, I started again doing asanas very slowly and only when I felt prepared. It takes time but it happens. Practice with respect and love to your body which is the temple of your soul, and with an opened mind. My key: NO EXPECTATIONS, no matter what, everything is impermanent.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3