yoga after cesarian

katharine
New User

Jun 30, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #1 of 3 (7478 views)
Shortcut
yoga after cesarian Can't Post

Hello,
I am cross-posting this question in the "medical aspects" forum as well. I had a cesarian 2 weeks ago and feel the need to get back to a yoga practice, but am not sure what asanas I can safely do. I believe Mr. Iyengar says to wait 2 months after a c-section before resuming a practice, but surely there must be some very basic, modified poses that would be ok for me to do. Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter?
Many thanks if you do.
Kathy

coldboy
Novice

Jul 7, 2004, 3:44 PM

Post #2 of 3 (7425 views)
Shortcut
Re: yoga after cesarian [In reply to] Can't Post

Please understand the apprehension members of an online bulletin would have in prescribing asana after such a medical procedure. It would be very unwise for even an experienced yoga instructor to provide safe advice in such circumstances.

I would advise a very conservative approach; seek personal and direct attention from a instructor experienced in rehabilitation after caesarean and take the advice of a qualified medical practitioner before beginning any practice.

Lizpagan
Novice

Apr 11, 2005, 1:05 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6682 views)
Shortcut
Re: yoga after cesarian [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the other post -- go slowly. Everybody's different. Every doctor is different too -- sounds like yours is on the conservative side.

This is my experience:

I had a subtotal hysterectomy (vertical abdominal incision). It might help you to look www.hystersisters.com --it's mainly aimed at people like me, but you'll learn a lot about different experiences after gynecological surgery, and also specific posts about excercising.

Anyway...

In the hospital I used the knee-to-chest pose A LOT, often known as the passing-gas pose. I did a lot of supported child's poses also to relieve gas. Also some standing forward bends (nobody would advise that, but it felt good so I did it). This was with the IV still attached.

I think that if you've been doing yoga for a while, you've got an advantage in the body awareness area. Like knowing what's using that area of the body too much -- I tried to move in a way that used my stomach less (and ended up with a glitch in my shoulder, ha ha).

I took a restorative class after 6 weeks and immediately thereafter began a regular practice. I feel like I could have started the restorative poses sooner but I was giving myself slack.

The worst part of getting back to practice was the lack of stamina. Full backbend was the only pose that was a particular trouble.

But I'm really kind of surprised at how quickly I felt "normal."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3